The CrossFit Open season is about to begin once again. We here at wild/STRONG understand that The Open isn't for everyone. We wanted you to have some solid reasons to give people at your gym for why you aren't going to be a part of this chaos in 2017. You are here at the box everyday to post a top score on that whiteboard right? Leave the judging, new movements and competition to the rest of the gym.
1. Who needs to identify their weaknesses? That sounds terrible. Sure you might get better at CrossFit but we all have the movements we are comfortable with and are somewhat good at – let’s stay inside our comfort zones – everyone knows that’s how you get better anyway.
2. Judges? Range of motion? Someone actually counting your reps? Uhhh, I’ll pass. If I lose count I’ll just round up. I know I’m hitting depth on those wall-balls. I’ll just do the Open workouts alongside those who entered – but I’ll just put my own score on the board – then talk about who I WOULD be beating IF I had entered.
3. Sure, entering might inspire others to do the same – but that’s not my job. My job is to post the best score on the whiteboard, not to compete or inspire.
4. $20.00? Who has that money laying around after they stock up on this month’s Progenex order?
5. I can’t do a muscle-up. Yeah I had a full year to work on them, but I only started thinking about it a month out from the Open, probably won’t be able to get one – then I’ll just be one of those people acting shocked when they announce muscle-ups.
Go register today. Learn new skills, attack your weaknesses, inspire others and find out where you (really) stand in your gym. If you don’t, go do the Open workouts on your own and don’t bother posting your score on the whiteboard. The Open workouts are for those who registered and complete them with a judge watching.